alabama rot

1467
Views

is your dog at risk from alabama rotwe have had many calls from concerned owners who are worried their dogs may be at risk from the so-called "Alabama Rot" - an often fatal condition which has been in the news recently.  The first thing to say is that this is NOT a common condition and although it has been reported in and around the New Forest, cases have been seen througout the UK since 2012.

The first signs are seen on the skin where there may be areas of redness and hair loss or ulceration 1-4cms across.  These are often seen below the elbow/knee joints. The dogs then develop signs of acute kidney failure which include severe depression, reduced appetite and vomiting.  Sadly this kidney failure often proves fatal.

It is not known for sure what causes alabama rot, but similar damage to the kidneys in people is known to be caused by a toxin produced by a bacterium called E.coli.  This toxin has not yet been found in affected dogs but there is ongoing research.

If your dog develops any similar signs on its skin which you can't account for (or any of the signs of kidney failure) then it is worth coming in for a check.  Dogs which have recovered have generally been seen by a vet early on, but please do not panic as this is still a rare condition.

Rate:
 
most viewed news
May Bank Holiday Opening

May Bank Holiday Opening

We have a vet and nurse on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for any urgent calls, but if your call is not an emergency our Dorchester and Weymouth surgeries are open at the following times over th...

Views: 298

0ur new vet

0ur new vet

We are very excited to be welcoming a new vet to the team.  Pablo Vila has just joined us from Maidenhead.  Unfortunately we don't have a suitable photo to show you so he has to remain a...

Views: 207

lily poisoning

lily poisoning

Lilies can cause fatal poisoning in cats.  Now is the time of year when many people are giving flowers to friends and family - what with the wedding season getting into full swing and the Easter&...

Views: 131

slug bait poisoning

slug bait poisoning

Nobody with a garden likes slugs and snails.  Unfortunately the most effective chemical way of getting rid of them is extremely poisonous to pets, birds and wild mammals.  I was in the garde...

Views: 124